The Center for Appropriate Technology was established in 2014 in order to perform a role as a platform which enables integrated interdisciplinary researches with expertise in social sciences, humanities and education sectors. These researches are based upon the outcomes of cases that have successfully employed appropriate technology to overseas voluntary works in which professors from College of Engineering, Seoul National University have played a central role.
The Center for Appropriate Technology aims for carrying out researches and implementing projects on international cooperation which is based on appropriate technology for sustainable development. Specific objectives are as follows:
- Conducting Interdisciplinary and integrated researches into appropriate technology-based solutions to help with social problems.
- Constructing database for developing and disseminating appropriate technologies.
- Developing and operating of volunteer and educational programs with a focus on appropriate technology.
- Implementing projects based on partnerships between a research institute and the field for appropriate technology.
- Implementing joint projects and constructing an Asian network for appropriate technology researches and practices.
- Suggesting and developing appropriate technology-focused international cooperation policies.